Storms sweep through the area, business owner frustrated with flooding

Placeholder while loading article actions


A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that a flood cleanup crew left District Dogs on Wednesday evening and that the crew also went there on Friday. The cleanup crew was there Wednesday evening and were also there Wednesday morning to clean up Friday’s flooding. The article has been corrected.

When skies unleashed rain on northeastern Washington on Wednesday afternoon, Jacob Hensley, owner of District Dogs dog daycare, checked the security cameras at his Rhode Island Avenue store.

“There are waves of water crashing into the building,” Hensley said. “I’m like, ‘Damn, here we go again.’ ”

For the third time in less than a month, Hensley’s storefront would be underwater. When the daycare begins to flood, Hensley said, the dogs are taken to higher ground and staff members go into “damage control mode,” removing objects from the ground that could be damaged.

“They told us it’s like once-in-a-generation or once-a-year type floods, but three times in four weeks?” said Hensley. “I do not think so.”

The flooding in the Hensley business was part of a storm system that swept through the district, Maryland and Virginia Wednesday afternoon and evening, flooding roads and causing mile-long delays to the evening commute , according to the authorities.

In the district, DC Fire and EMS rescued a woman whose car was stuck in high water around 5:06 p.m. in the 600 block of Rhode Island Avenue NE, fire department spokesman Vito Maggiolo said. from DC. The occupant, a woman, had climbed onto the roof of her car, from where the rescuers evacuated her. She was not injured.

On the same block, Hensley said, there was at least a three-foot wall of water outside his facility and two to three inches of water inside. Flood bags had been put in place, but “our building is not built like a ship,” Hensley said. “You can’t protect it from that much water.”

The location of the dog daycare opened in May. During construction last year, Hensley said, he was not warned of any possible flooding issues. Hensley said he’s been in touch with city officials and hopes for a solution, whether that’s through an improved storm drainage system or some form of protection for his business.

“I need to know there is a way to fix this problem,” Hensley said. “It’s a risk every time it rains.”

At the Capitol South subway station, located on First Street SE, workers drained platform water that was coming from the ceiling, Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority spokeswoman Sherri Ly said in an e -mail.

“Earlier today, heavy rain and flooding in the area overwhelmed our drainage system and began to enter Capitol South station from the ceiling of the dome,” Ly said Wednesday evening. “We are also inspecting the drainage to make sure there are no other issues.”

The incident lasted about 15 minutes and there were no injuries or effects on train service, Ly said.

The Metropolitan Area Transportation Operations Coordination Program, or MATOC, tweeted at 6:47 p.m. that there were six-mile delays due to high water on highways 95 and 495 northbound, past Maryland 450 in Prince George’s County. Earlier, around 6:25 p.m., a tree fell on southbound Maryland 295 at Greenbelt Road, blocking a right lane, causing seven-mile delays, according to MATOC.

According to the Federal Aviation Administration, around 6:50 p.m. flights were delayed an average of 3 hours 29 minutes at Baltimore-Washington Marshall International Airport, and delays of 4 hours 56 minutes were reported at Reagan National Airport. . At Washington Dulles International Airport, delays of up to 4 hours 57 minutes have been reported.

In Prince George’s County, lightning struck a two-story single-family home in the 14400 block of Saint Gregory Way in Accokeek around 4:50 p.m., Prince George’s Fire and EMS said. Smoke was billowing from the roof and flames were shooting through the attic. Residents self-evacuated, the department said.

The severe weather came less than a week after three people were killed and another injured in a lightning strike in Lafayette Square in DC after a severe thunderstorm.

A flood cleanup crew was at District Dogs Wednesday evening to clean up, Hensley said, and had been there earlier in the day. The dog daycare will be closed on Thursday and likely through the weekend, giving staff members a break and some time to regroup, Hensley said.

“You feel a bit lost, you don’t know what to do, because it’s out of your control,” he said. “No one controls Mother Nature.”

Comments are closed.