Several airports in Alabama have obtained grants from the FAA
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WBRC) – Improvement projects are underway for several Alabama airports.
U.S. Sen. Richard Shelby (R-Ala.) announced that 25 airports will receive more than $12.5 million in grants from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). Funding was provided by the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) for various airport upgrades to support infrastructure construction and safety advancements.
“I am pleased that the DOT recognizes the importance of investing in these 25 airports,” said Senator Shelby. “The state of Alabama’s aviation industry is growing rapidly, and these safety and security advancements and infrastructure upgrades will be transformative. I look forward to seeing how this $12.5 million will help many of our airports better serve their communities and contribute to local economies.
Grants were awarded to the following airports:
- Huntsville Executive Airport-Tom Sharp Jr. Field, Huntsville, Alabama – $1,575,000 to build, expand and improve a safety zone
- Greensboro Municipal Airport, Greensboro, Alabama – $1,063,373 to rehabilitate a runway
- Dothan Regional Airport, Dothan, Alabama – $1,022,974 to rebuild a thoroughfare
- Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport, Birmingham, Alabama – $1,003,180 to build, expand and improve a safety zone
- Florala Municipal Airport, Florala, Alabama – $850,000 to construct apron and taxiway
- Montgomery-Dannelly Field Regional Airport, Montgomery, Alabama – $800,720 to conduct a study and rehabilitate runway and taxiway lighting
- Southwest Alabama Regional Airport, Thomasville, Alabama – $716,400 to build a new airport
- Gulf Shores-Jack Edwards Field International Airport, Gulf Shores, Alabama – $670,000 to conduct a study and rebuild taxiway lighting
- Wetumpka Municipal Airport, Wetumpka, Alabama – $560,285 to rebuild a thoroughfare
- Carl Folsom Airport, Elba, Alabama – $540,263 to rebuild a thoroughfare
- Marion County-Rankin Fite Airport, Hamilton, Alabama – $461,827 to install a perimeter fence
- Thomas C. Russell Field Airport, Alexander City, Alabama – $461,238 to expand an apron and reconstruct a taxiway
- South Alabama-Bill Benton Field Regional Airport, Andalusia, Alabama – $457,163 to seal pavement surface of runways and taxiways and pavement joints
- Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport, Birmingham, Alabama – $360,000 to acquire an aircraft rescue and firefighting vehicle
- Sylacauga-Merkel Field Municipal Airport, Sylacauga, Alabama – $300,000 to acquire land for development
- Craig Field Airport, Selma, Alabama – $263,584 to reinforce a traffic lane
- Jackson Municipal Airport, Jackson, Alabama – $210,000 to rehabilitate a thoroughfare
- Ozark-Blackwell Field Airport, Ozark, Alabama – $185,571 to seal the apron pavement surface and pavement joints
- Talladega Municipal Airport, Talladega, Alabama – $166,053 to rehabilitate a thoroughfare
- HL Sonny Callahan Airport, Fairhope, Alabama – $150,000 to acquire land for development
- Monroe County Aeroplex Airport, Monroeville, Alabama – $150,000 to update the airport master plan
- Roanoke Enloe Municipal Airport, Roanoke, Alabama $150,000 to install an airport beacon
- Cullman-Folsom Field Regional Airport, Cullman, Alabama $148,500 to update the airport master plan
- Anniston Regional Airport, Anniston, Alabama – $108,000 to improve airport drainage and erosion control
- Foley Municipal Airport, Foley, Alabama – $72,000 to update the airport master plan
- Bay Minette Municipal Airport, Bay Minette, Alabama – $62,000 to install a perimeter fence
CLICK HERE TO GET THE WBRC FOX6 NEWS APP
Subscribe to our WBRC newsletter and get the latest local news and weather delivered straight to your email.
Copyright 2022 WBRC. All rights reserved.