Passenger Detained After Emergency Landing at LaGuardia Airport

A passenger was arrested after a plane made an emergency landing at New York’s LaGuardia Airport on Saturday, CBS New York reports. The Republic Airways flight landed safely shortly after 3 p.m. ET.

“A Republic Airways plane, operating as American 4817, declared an emergency and landed at New York’s LaGuardia Airport without incident in response to passenger behavior towards the end of the flight,” the company said. air in a press release. “On exiting the active runway, the aircraft came to a stop on a taxiway and carried out a preventive emergency evacuation. Our crew responded to the situation in accordance with our procedures and with professionalism and concern for the safety of all on board. Law enforcement and first responders encountered the plane and the passenger involved in the incident was taken into custody. We apologize to our passengers for this disruption to their travel. “

Videos on social media appear to show authorities searching for and holding a man face down on the tarmac.

The pilot alerted ground authorities towards the end of the flight after other passengers reported the man who had been arrested, according to the New York and New Jersey Port Authority, which operates the airport.

“This was in response to reports from passengers of suspicious and erratic behavior by another passenger,” Port Authority spokesperson Thomas Topousis told CBS New York. Other passengers who were seated near the individual were also questioned by authorities, reports CBS New York.

In an email to The Associated Press, a spokesperson for the US Department of Homeland Security said “nothing dangerous was on the plane.”

New York Governor Kathy Hochul said “there is no reason to believe that there is any danger to New Yorkers right now.”

There were 76 passengers and six crew members on the American Airlines-operated flight from Indianapolis. No one was injured in the incident, the airline said.

The investigation is ongoing.

LaGuardia Airport said in a statement shortly before 7:30 p.m. that the incident “has been resolved and the airport is operating normally.”

Source link

Comments are closed.